Tuesday 13 July 2010

Day One :)


Woke up in my drowsy surreal state at 7.30 in the morning and casually glanced at my blackberry to have received a text from my boyfriend "Waiting outside the bus stop in the pouring rain on the way to the train station to get to chesterfield, where are you?" hahaha, I smiled at the thought that I only needed 2 hours to get to my work experience and that I could have a lay in :)

After dealing with wet feet and taking ages to find an umbrella; I was on the bus filled to the brim with old people and shady looking characters (great start to the day), I decided to pick up a metro so I fitted into this "work" lifestyle. Ahhh 15 minutes early I thought to myself BLOODY BRILLIANT! the traffic wasn't as bad as I first anticipated :/ so I went to get a nice cup of tea (:

Once I was in the building with people whom I have never met in my life! we were all sat in silence not making eye contact when Bethany called me ....."I’m lost!". Typical, the only person I know on my work experience is lost; so I gave directions and she arrived 20 minutes later :)

Walking up a mass' of steps later; 'Oooh macbooks! Ain’t this place posh!' my brain said to me as I walked into a big white room at the top floor of Site gallery. After meeting Vicky we all received lots of paper, folders, and best of all NAME TAGS! we then went through the boring task of learning about health and safety; we then took a little tour around the gallery :) I then interviewed Lucy and got to know her better :)

At lunch I went to starbucks with Bethany and Harriet :)....that about it for lunch... Oh we met Hannah too who is also doing work exp in town.

We then met artist Lesley Guy who talked about different artists (Berini,John Stezikar, Susan Hilliar, Michael Borremans, To Maraz,Chris Ofilli, David Altejd, Mark Manders and her own work) I learnt about contemporary art and how it is basically art which is going on now (modern) and reflects on many different things by taking an everyday object or way of life and twisting it such as Altemejd who used a childlike aspect of someone's imagination and used cheap materials, and Borremans who used art to express how people use their hands in a magical way. I also learnt that many pieces of art are based on religion such as Bernene's piece of sculpture which was commissioned by the pope and Stezikar's art also has a religious affect by combining a Jesus story from the bible mixed with an aspect of the 21st century.

After receiving a mass amount of information and a headache we edited our interviews and I was surprised how many times I said "uuuuurrrrmmmmm" so I cut them all out :) so now I sound like a celebrity on Alan Carr Chatty Man who knows they're life story off by heart :)

No comments:

Post a Comment