Tuesday 20 July 2010

Part D: Arts apprenticeship arts


My finish Bodies project: http://www.flickr.com/photos/site-education/sets/72157625068297038/show/

My mini project will be taking pictures of people laying down (looking dead) in peculiar places such as on steps, on Fargate ete... I will involve the whole group in the staged photos so there is a wide range of people contributing to my project. I might risk it and ask some members of the public to contribute (like students...they're up for owt), the people will follow these rules;

1. you must be laying limp and looking dead
2. be creative and do it in a really unexpected place.

First I went and just took pictures of people laying down at home, but on the Monday I went out and took several shots of the same place at different moments (some with dead person, some without) and merged them together in Photoshop so that it looks like everything was happening at once.

I went to the train station and near the university where most of the people look busier and more odd because on the final image there will be a person laying down "dead" on each picture and all the people that are walking around won’t be looking at them, where as in a real life situation that wouldn't happen, the people would react straight away.

I chose this project because I was interested in how you could make someone look dead but the rest of the public (strangers) don't care where as in the real world if someone was dead on the floor there would be lots of people, police, ambulance and commotion so there would be lots of attention but my project shows a kind of surreal parallel universe in which people don’t appear care. A bit like we are when we see the news.

We had a few complications when we got to fargate at lunch, one of my friends sprawled face down on the floor and a man passed her and muttering the words "faggot" which was really rude, and lots of people gave us funny looks or walked past the camera whilst I was taking a photo.

I’m really pleased with my finished work. I took a lot of photos and have created about 6 that really give the affect that I described about. Visit my project here:

No comments:

Post a Comment